Mercury Abatement & Disposal Frequently Asked Questions

Where is mercury found?

Mercury is most commonly found in thermometers, compact fluorescent lights (CFLs), light bulbs, thermostats, barometers and rubber flooring typically present in commercial facilities.

What are the risks of exposure to mercury containing materials?

Mercury can cause health and environmental risks when not properly handled. Elemental mercury is most easily absorbed through inhalation in vapor form but can also be absorbed through the skin or mouth. Children are most susceptible to lasting health risks as they have less blood and any mercury exposure is more concentrated. Mercury must be properly cleaned up and disposed by CHC to avoid environmental risks such as contamination of drinking water, soil and fish.

How do you test for mercury containing materials?

CHC provides comprehensive solutions to all scopes of work and while we do not complete toxic metal testing services in-house we can coordinate and manage the provision of third party testing services. A CHC representative will meet the third party onsite to ensure a complete testing process and will follow through with the acquiring of an accurate report of the present hazard concentrations.

How do I know if I need mercury remediation or disposal services?

In the event of a spill, breakage or any other mercury release, contact CHC immediately for emergency cleanup and disposal. Keep children and adults from the release point and increase ventilation into the space. Consult CHC prior to impacting any suspect mercury containing materials for a comprehensive, 100% safe approach to remediation and disposal.

Request a FREE Site Assessment Today.